Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Adver(effing)tising

I work in advertising, yes. I have for 5-ish years. SHEESH. I'm not sure how that happened. I have come to the realization very recently that I HAVE to get out. I have had this realization twice before and I did get out, both times.

The first time I quit an agency job I intended to move to Japan. Well, I only stayed in Japan for 1 hour. It's a long story that I'd be happy to tell you sometime. I did take some time off of working all together after that. But then I got back into advertising a few months later; actually at the same agency hired me back.

Then 4 months later I got a job at a different agency and stayed there for 15 months. Then the "I have to get out" realization hit again and I quit. That's when I road tripped for 2 months. It was pretty great. But then I got home and went right back into advertising. The agency enticed me with things like "good money" and "part time hours" and all kinds of "praise".

Now I'm on month 16. The whole "work when you want thing" has been awesome. But it is loosing it's appeal. Because although I don't work 40 hours a week, every hour I do work, I am making another bloody car commercial. I just can hardly make myself care anymore.

So I'm having the same realization I've had twice before. But this time I know I need to get out permanently. I don't want a "break", I want a "switch". I want to do something else. I want to create video still, but NOT in this facility. I want to care, dammit.

I have to get out. Help me.

If you have ever been enchanted with the idea of working in advertising, please watch this video. I'm sure not all agencies are like this, but they ones I have been involved with are SO much like this.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anton Seim said...

Get the hell out. It was one of the best things I ever did, to permanently leave my job and pursue my dreams. There are LOTS of opportunities out there for editors. I can tell you about them. You've just gotta leave your other job, don't look back.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger tahj said...

hells yeah.

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

that was hilarious

hahahah... echoing anton & tahj... hell.out.

10:52 AM

 
Blogger Shyla said...

GO FOR IT!!!! I had the same feelings 2 years ago so I quit my job and went to law school. It was the best move I ever made. Good luck with your next move :)!

6:33 PM

 
Blogger mirandaray said...

i know i'm late, but i LOVE the advertising video! i'm in advertising, i don't regret it, but that video is still scarily accurate.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger ann said...

Oh wow. I somehow blog surfed here and suddenly realized that I was in Japan while you were trying to move there (the hour long episode... surely there aren't too many people that has happened to). Anyway, that was bizarre enough to prompt me to comment. I like the blog. Too bad we didn't get to meet in Japan.

4:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home