Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

"A Kiss", from 1994

This is a little piece I wrote when I was 14. I don't think I had kissed anyone yet...well, after reading it and then remembering the horrible tongue stabbing that was my first kiss, I am certain this was pre-kissed Heather writing. How precious was I with my romantic notions?

A kiss. A kiss. One touch. Such a small word for something so magnificent. It's like fireworks. The sky lights up with a glowing, brilliant red when two people kiss. Kiss. I could say the word all night. It's the sweetest, most tender thing on earth. Yet, while sweet and tender, it can be passionate* and powerful. A kiss. One kiss. It tells you so much about a person. In a kiss you know exactly how they feel about you. A kiss is the best gift you could receive. Everyone, everybody NEEDS a kiss. One magic moment in time when the world stops for you, you alone. Everything pauses, freezes so that you feel the magic and love. You feel as if you're on top of the world, the universe, and the joy it brings will never end, never. Even when the kiss ends, the feelings stay - forever. You'll always remember the glory of that kiss. That one kiss.

*The paper actually says "compassionate"...but I know I meant "passionate"...so 28 year old Heather adjusted 14 year old Heather's mistake.

7 Comments:

Blogger crackers and cheese said...

Aww, this is really precious! But yeah, where were the fireworks and glowing, brilliant red sky? Or at least a nice foot pop like on the Princess Diaries? Ahh, young idealism :) Oh, and I wish this was true, "It tells you so much about a person." Awww :) Thanks for sharing Heather! Your 14 year old self is a neat person.

10:30 PM

 
Blogger Liz Jordan said...

Wouldn't you love to have a conversation with her? 14 year old Heather?
This is so precious, truly. It's the only word I can think of to describe it! I just loove it, totally made my day.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Cara said...

A few observations/reactions:

1. I too have been tongue stabbed. Yuck.
2. A kiss can be compassionate too.
3. Sometimes the feelings don't stay forever, 14 year old Heather.
4. I want a kiss, but not from you.
5. This was really neat.

9:36 PM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

love it :)

1:43 PM

 
Blogger tahj said...

and sometimes when you kiss, the other person's lips are soft like cotton with sugar. excuse me, i meant, your leeeps.

3:01 PM

 
Blogger OK Chick said...

Awww... ya'll kiss.

3:26 PM

 
Blogger Lynn Valdez said...

You must update more! I follow you man!!!! I love the way you write and make people think!!!

11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home