Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Piece of Cake

As a video editor, as a freelance video editor, as a freelance video editor living in Dallas, I often have to edit projects that I don't particularly want to edit. Car commercials, corporate videos, VNRs, home movie style stuff...etc. I have to do these projects because I have to get paid. I have to do these projects so I can get better and better at my craft. And I try not to complain because when it comes down to it, I'm doing what I love and on my own time. But when a really good, fun project comes along, I don't take it for granted.

I was fortunate enough to work on a piece of video a few months ago that I loved. It was honestly the best professional experience I've had thus far in my career. The producer I worked with was just magical. I learned so much from her. And the piece turned out really solid I think.

The set up: Cameras follow four very different Texans as they prepare to enter the Texas State Fair Cake Baking Contest. Do they get big money and fame if the win? No. Just a 50 cent ribbon. But they throw themselves in to the fine art of baking anyway; and they all have their reasons. This a sneak peek of what will hopefully become a documentary or short series. The point of the video is to raise interest in the project so the producer can get investors. Enjoy, A Piece of Cake.


6 Comments:

Blogger Shyla said...

I LOVE it! Too fun. The one lady was crackin' me up.

7:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome video, Heather! I'm glad you got to work on this project. Thanks for sharing it!

2:32 PM

 
Blogger Kelly T said...

Hub, this is really so great. I honestly didn't think I was going to watch the whole 7 minutes, but I couldn't stop watching. I love how different each person is, how different their kitchens are, how different their outlooks are, and I especially loved the ending with the tasting! Great job!!!

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Anton Seim said...

Very kinetic, very well done. This is a doc that could be on par with Spellbound and Hands on a Hardbody.

Lady Baltimore, what an incredible character!

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Matt & Lori said...

I loved it! Watched the whole 7 minutes and now I need to know who wins!! Good job!

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Cara said...

NoOOoOoo! Why does he volume not work on my uncle's laptop? I have to hear this.

9:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home