Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

NEW POST

For the sake of more frequent postings, here is a post. I have nothing planned to say, so I'll just list some "happenings" as of late.

My friends Carrie, Liz and Marilee all ran in a marathon last weekend. I went to Houston to cheer them on and see them finish. One of my biggest fears during the hours I waited was that one wouldn't make it...that there would be an injury or loss of will. So when they all, individually became viewable in the last stretch of the grueling 26+ miles, I was beyond relieved and mostly just happy. It was really amazing. Congrats and Kudos to you, my marathoner friends.

The week before that I was in Colorado with Justin. I drove up with him as he moved to Lakewood, a suburb of Denver. I spent several days there and then flew back. It was really fun and entirely too intoxicating and gorgeous. It was hard to leave....to leave my man that I had spent EVERYDAY with for over a month, and to leave the beauty of mountains, snow and a revived feel that a new city gives you.

But I came home. I came home and am living the dream. I work more than 50% of the time from home now with some new clients I got in December and it's GREAT. They give me a lot of creative freedom, pay well, and are just really nice people in general. I no longer do any work for The Miller Agency at all...and that feels SO GOOD! One of my off-the-record new year's resolutions last year was to be able to quit all Miller work by the end of the year...and sure enough, around mid-late December, I told them I was too busy now with other clients to work with them. Ah the joy. No more car commercials!!! Like I said, livin' the dream. MY DREAM.

Speaking of NY Resolutions, I did really good in 2008. I actually stuck to my "no frivolous shopping". The only clothes I bought for myself were with gift cards. I am proud of myself for doing this...for following through, saving money and getting becoming materialistic. But I will say, I was HAPPY when 2009 rolled around. I may have had a few trips to the store that led to new items in my closet. :) Every girl needs to shop a little.

So this year? I've decided my resolutions are to save money by cutting my expenses and bills in anyway I can...Suze Orman style. Also, have no car accidents and get no more tickets. I already got two in January. DAMN. But starting now, NO TICKETS. I can hardly afford my auto insurance as is. But that's it...I'm going easy on the resolutions this year. I think that if you really want something to change, you change it immediately...not wait to set a goal on Dec 31.

Speaking of change, my Aunt's Facebook page has this quote:

"If you don't like something, change it.
If you can't change it,
Change the way you think about it."

Profound. I leave you with that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

you're amazing.

i'm sad you're going to leave us soon. but i feel like it's good. and heck... maybe now i can actually come visit colorado. i've still never been.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger tahj said...

you did so good with your last year's resolutions. way to stick with it.

two tickets THIS january? wha happan?

you were in houston? by way of austin? wtf.

9:41 PM

 
Blogger OK Chick said...

Good for you on the no shopping. I'm impressed. I couldn't do that, I work across the street from the mall. If I have a bad day at work, Quail Springs better watch out because OK Chick is coming shoppin'!

Good luck on this year's NYR.

7:32 AM

 
Blogger Lynn Valdez said...

I love this blog.

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home