Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolutions and Theme

I have two resolutions that I am very serious about for 2008.

1- I won't buy any clothes/shoes for myself all year.

This sounds impossible, yes I know, but I really want to achieve this. I feel like I've become so materialistic lately. This isn't even about saving money, although that will be nice, it's more about changing my mindset. I need to realize that I can get by with what I have. And I need to find other hobbies/types of therapy that don't involve shopping. There is a Brett Dennen song, "There So Much More", that really spoke to me on this subject:

"I don't feel comfortable with the way my clothes fit
I can't get used to my body's limits
I got some fancy shoes to try and giggle away these blues
They cost a lot of money but they aren't worth a thing
I wanna free my feet from the broken glass and concrete
I need to get out of this city
Lay upon the ground stare a hole in the sky
Wondering where I go when I die.

I wonder how so many can be in so much pain,
While others don't seem to feel a thing
Then I curse my whiteness,
And I get so damn depressed,
In a world with suffering,
Why should I be so blessed?"

2- Get seriously good at what I do - editing/video production.

This doesn't mean get more gigs and do more work. This means improve my skill, learn new programs, finesse my style. How will I do this? Tutorials, practice, applying myself at home, focusing for more than 5 minutes at a time...things like that. It might mean missing out on some fun times. I need to go through a self-schooling of sorts. My goal is to be practically lethal on all the best programs and be able to edit anything I'm given to the best of my, or anyone else's, ability. In short, I'm gonna ROCK. Watch out production world.
_________________________________________________________________

So there you have my 2008 resolutions. I will need help. Please keep me accountable. Ask me about my shopping, ask me about my learning. Otherwise, I won't make it through the year like I want to.

I have a theme for the year. It's "self-improvement rather than self-discovery." The last couple years have been about discovery. I know who I am now. I would like to improve upon that this year.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

intereting. makes me think of the book Not buying it: my year without shopping, by Judith Levine. I've never read it, but heard many good things. all the best of luck!

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i promise.

and i'll ask the same of you when i get around to sharing MY resolutions with YOU :)

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Cara said...

these are great resolutions, heather. i'll try to hold you accountable. like martha, i might ask you and others to hold me accountable once i get my stuff straightened out.

12:42 AM

 
Blogger tahj said...

good post. meaningful and deliberate resolutions. GOOD FOR YOOOOU. because i've heard you talk about resolutions this year, i've been doing some thinking and i've come up with a couple for myself. they will materialize shortly. i'm glad you're my friend.

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home