Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Why Are You Quitting Your Job?

Well, Denver, thanks for asking. Although I get to wear comfy jeans now everyday, the automotive advertising industry is just not for me. So I'm hitting the road.

Me and my good friend Tahj are taking a 2 month long road/climbing trip through the North and Northwest. We are gonna hit up a bunch of climbing hot spots, see some country we've yet to see, meet some people, eat cheaply, and live in the Element.

Why am I taking this trip? Because I love the unknown. I love traveling, experiencing, growing. I feel very stuck at my comfy corporate job and I don't like that feeling. So instead of just living in quite desperation and trying to convince myself that it's not THAT bad, I'm just gonna leave it all and do something else.

What will I do when I get back? I don't know. I'm leaving my options really open. Maybe my calling in life is different than anything I've done before. I don't know. I hope this trip will open me up to new ideas and passions. Like Sanitago said in The Alchemist, "I can always go back to being a shepherd. I can always be a diamond salesman again. But I had a dream. And I met a King...that doesn't happen to just anyone." (that is totally paraphrased).

So that's why. September 22nd will be my last day in corporate land...

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

thanks for blogging today. I'm so completely excited for you guys.. okay 90% excited and 10% jealous. This is going to be such a wonderful time of growth and learning. i dream of hitting the north and northEAST or South America. I almost went to Japan earlier this year. The fact that you guys are doing this... i respect that.. and it helps me to realize that it IS possible. i'll let you know if i leave before you guys get back! hahahah i guess you never know. good luck with the gun by the way.. and like i mentioned before. please get a silencer. that way you won't scare the bears.

3:30 PM

 
Blogger heather hub said...

TO CLARIFY ABOUT THE GUN:
When I told my parents about the trip, my Dad's only request was that I take a gun class, get a concealed handgun license and buy a gun. I hope not to use it, and if so, only on bears that are trying to eat me...or freaks in bear costumes.

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

yeah.... i'm just jealous

;)

6:44 PM

 
Blogger RC said...

wow, that sounds like a lot of fun!

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Anton Seim said...

In a Honda Element? I always thought those were cool.

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Anton Seim said...

I linked to your blog, at 2:30 in the morning.

A. Why on earth am I not asleep?
B. Feel special.

2:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home