Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Friday, September 08, 2006

David Garza is kinda smelly.

Last night I went to see a very good songwriter/musician named David Garza. He's been around for 20+ years and he's from Irving. He never hit it big, but many a times it's been said that he's the most underrated songwriter out there. He played at Club Dada and I went by myself, which wasn't my intent, but no one wound up being about to accompany me. Which is fine; I don't mind doing things alone. Since I was alone though, I thought a lot. Here's what I thought about: (it may seem random, but stick with it, it comes full circle)

I went on a date with this guy last October. I was ECSTATIC. I really liked him. We met climbing and had been talking for a while before this date occurred. It went very well, I thought, and I was sure he'd call again and we'd start dating. Well sure as the sunrises, this didn't happen. I got, what we call in America, BLOWN OFF. I was hurt by this. I know it was only one date, but I guess I had a lot banking on this guy and had gotten my hopes WAY up, only to be majorly let down.

So I thought about him last night. And I wondered, what did I get from him? Anything besides disappointment? And I realized I DID get something from him...DAVID GARZA. He was the one who introduced me to David Garza. He gave me a burned CD. I embraced it and became quite the fan. Maybe more of a fan than he is, since I didn't see him at the show...

And then I thought back to other flingy-datey-almost-relationshipy things I've had in the past and it seems music is most often what I take away. And in retrospect, that ROCKS. I mean, if we aren't meant to be and I can't have you, having your music is a close second. And eventually becomes a first and you become a second, or even some way higher number.

So this blog is to you, all you flingy-datey-almost-relationshipy guys from my past...thank you for the increasing my music library. Because of you, I had to upgrade from my 8 gig MP3 player to a 30 gig. And to all you future flingy-datey-almost-relationshipy guys, I'd like to thank you in advance for the music I assume you'll introduce me too. Thank you.



Oh, and about David Garza smelling...he does. He likes to come down off stage and into the crowd to talk with people and dance. Well he came by me and WHOA!...the stink. Not stinky like, I've been playing guitar for a few hours and I'm sweaty, but stink like, I haven't showered in 8 days nor do I wear deoderant. I haven't smelled B.O. like that since that hippie hugged me after I fell of my skateboard in Colorado back in 2001.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

It's so true! I've gotten music (usually good, but ya' know...) from most of the males in my life. Why is that? Trey introduced me to 'Elefant', and in turn, I introduced them to you. You gave me 'the Avett Bros.' because of Steven. This is a ridiculously enthralling concept, so I, personally, am glad you tapped into it. How awesome! - now we really can make musical lemonade from our disappointing lemon-male relationships. Raise your glasses!

12:16 AM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

already commented on this once... and i stand by my previous words...

but to add to it... i can't believe you're about to be gone for two months... excitement on the horizon for you... but sad days ahead for the rest of us :(

5:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home