Self-construction instead of mass-production.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Heather, what have you been doing lately?"

Well, I'm glad you asked.

First things first, I am working on the best video project I have ever had the chance to work on. It is for a show that will air on National Geographic Channel in the Fall...there are 9 episodes scheduled to air. The show is called The Music Nomad and it follows host Jacob, a music producer and expert, around the world to expose the diversity of world music. The first 3 episodes were shot in India, the second 3 will be shot in Jamaica, and the final 3 will take place in the U.S. So far I have worked on one of the India episodes. The show is interesting, funny, shot beautifully and moves well. It is a huge honor to be an editor on it. I feel very fortunate to have met up with the guys who I am working with. Kelly and Rod...you guys rock!

Secondly, I started working as a Personal Trainer at 24 Hour Fitness about a month ago. I was so excited to begin this new line of work. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm has quickly faded. I do really enjoy training people, but the job is about so much more at 24. It's about numbers and selling and clocking in and clocking out and percentages and putting on a "face" and not really being a person but an employee number. It's so corporate. Too corporate. I forgot what it was like to work for "the man". I remember fully now. It knocks the wind out of me. It drains me. I'm not too sure how much longer I want to be there. Ideally, I would love to work in a small studio or do in-home training. I know I need some experience first, which is why (I keep telling myself) I am working at this huge, stupid gym. Some of my co-workers are cool, so at least I'm making new friends.

I moved this last week. Just from a basement in Golden to a basement in Lakewood. I am SO much happier with my current living situation. This new house has a lot of good vibes and energy...and no dogs. Not that I'm a dog-hater, but if I can choose between living with dogs or not, I'm choosing not. I am geographically closer to EVERYTHING I do on a regular basis. I can ride my bike to the gym. Love it. I think the old house had bad vibes to me. As you know from previous blogs, I was pretty homesick and depressed for about 2 months when I moved here. I feel good now; but those old feelings kind of hung out in the old house. It was so refreshing to be away from them. It feels like a new start and I needed that.

Summer is here and it is beautiful in CO. It has rained a lot lately, which makes everything a brilliant green. I fully intend on getting outside as much as possible for the next several months. It isn't humid here, unlike TX. What a wonderful thing!!! Dry heat!

I still have the boyfriend...which is sort of an amazing thing to me. This is by far the longest I've been in a relationship. We met over a year ago! Things are pretty good, not perfect, but I suppose no relationship is. Working on "us" is rewarding and provides quite a lot of life lessons.

So all in all, life is good in Denver. I am happy that I live here and look forward to what the future holds for me in this beautiful place.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good to get your update, friend! I'm glad the move was good for you, and I'm glad you're enjoying Colorado so much! I miss it more hearing you talk about it, while I'm swealtering in the 100 degree heat down here! And congrats on still being with Justin. I hope things are still really good with him!

10:12 AM

 
Blogger Anton Seim said...

That's rad that you're working on that cool show, I'm happy for you! Can't wait to see it.

You should definitely get the diplomatic experience, working with your clients at the big gym, then, once your fully confident as a trainer you should move to a boutique gym and possibly even bring some of your clients with you. A gym like that can charge $125+ an hour, and you'll get at least $75 an hour and I know that they're always looking for people who can bring in their own clients. I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Sounds like you're pretty happy!

3:43 PM

 
Blogger tahj said...

glad to hear it, all of it, except the part about the weather. i am green with jealousy. so good that you got that NG gig. can't wait to see it!

11:24 PM

 
Blogger OK Chick said...

Could you please update???? :)

12:56 PM

 
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

aww... i'm so excited for you, heather! i'm sorry i'm late reading this... but sometimes it takes me a while to remember the blog world i used to love so much.

everything sounds wonderful... and i can't wait to come see you in your element (haha... your element) soon!

<3

12:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home